Tuesday, July 20, 2010

My Children's Children

"Only take care, and keep your soul diligently, lest you forget the things that your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life. Make them known to your children and your children's children - " Deuteronomy 4:9 (ESV)

In light of my last post, I was thinking today about the amazing responsibility I have as a grandparent. I am charged by Moses in the verse quoted above to be very attentive to my assignment to teach my children and my "children's children" the lessons God has taught me. But how can I teach a 17 month old that she needs to be attentive to the voice of the Holy Spirit when He speaks. I wonder how that is most effectively accomplished.

Today Barb and I were babysitting Sarah while her parents went to NYC to attend to visa stuff at the Chinese Consulate. We really had no objections to that task. Below is Sarah watching her favorite television show, "Blues Clues". She can't take her eyes off it when its on.


We found ourselves amazed at how much this cute little 17 month old is learning and knows already. She loves music and dancing, climbing and running, exploring and reading. She has fun when Grampie holds her so she gets wet in the lawn sprinkler and when Grammie feeds her or holds her sit in her lap and reads to her. And today we discovered that she loves to have Grampie hold her up in the air, almost touching the ceiling. She learned the word "again" today and she had Grampie lifting her "again" and "again" to giggles of delight. Here she is giving Grampie a real workout.
As I thought about how we can teach her the truths of God, I concluded that for now, our task is to show her the unconditional love of her Heavenly Father as demonstrated in the love we have for her. Whether lifting her to the ceiling, holding her next to the lawn sprinkler, feeding her at meal times or reading to her as she sits in our lap, we want to teach her that the love we have for her is a reflection of the love God has for her. And we are already praying that when Sarah is old enough, she will be filled with wonder when she learns about the love God demonstrated for her when He sent his one and only Son Jesus to be her Savior and Lord. I wonder when that will be.

No comments: