Sunday, July 24, 2011

Listening to God

Today was hot at church. I mean the temperature inside the sanctuary, the brick sanctuary with no air conditioning and small windows that barely open, was very, very warm. It was the kind of day you could easily fall asleep (or pass out) if you were not careful. I think our pastor is wise to take his month long Sabbatical in July.

When he goes away, others are asked to preach. I have preached twice. The youth pastor preached last week. And this week Pastor Vince Gierer from St. Paul's Collegiate Church in Storrs, CT was our guest speaker. I had never heard Vince (pictured below) before.



I am glad I heard him today. He brought a message from God's Word as shared in Philippians 4:10-20. He entitled his sermon "Excellent Givers". He challenged me to be like those in the church at Philippi as we give. He showed me how Paul commended the Philippians for giving in three specific ways and how I should be like them in my giving.


I should give the gift of friendship to those around me whom God allows me to befriend. In verse 10 Paul commends the Philippians for being concerned about him because they are his friends. I should also give the gift of partnership in ministry as the Philippians did for Paul. In verse 15 he thanks them for their partnership in sharing the Gospel. And finally, I must remember that all my giving is unto the Lord no matter when or where I give it. Paul thanks the Philippians for their gift given to him but really given to the Lord, verse 18.


I am grateful that God spoke to me on a hot Sunday morning in a church in Windsor Locks through a guest speaker about being an "excellent giver" for God's glory. I pray now that I will be a doer of the Word and not a hearer only. I wonder what that will look like in me this week.


No comments: